Libtool 1.2b static lib problems

Has anyone tried building static libraries with shared libraries disabled
with libtool 1.2b?  If I enable static library creation and disable shared
library creation, e.g.:

	./configure --enable-static --disable-shared

My static library apparently gets built but then gets wiped out by
libtool.  On the other hand, when I had both static and shared lib
creation enabled by default, both static and shared versions of the lib
got created just fine.

This is the one problem that is holding up the release of my ACE package.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
-Ossama
Ossama Othman <othman@astrosun.tn.cornell.edu>