Re: Finding a source package

Guy Maor wrote:
> Jason Gunthorpe <jgg@gpu.srv.ualberta.ca> writes:
>
> > I suggest that we enhance the source: field to include the section, for
> > instance for aalib it could look like
> >
> > source: libs/aalib
>
> And for non-free and contrib packages, it would prepend non-free or
> contrib to the front?

Choose whatever method you like.

> I can implement this in dpkg-scanpackages, btw.

There are still 2 problems in finding the source files to packages.

First, due to NMU uploads to other architectures, the source version
may not match the version: in the package you are looking for.
This means you need to search the archive for the name of the .dsc
file. There are about 75 version mismatches in slink (only 2 in hamm)
so this is not a minor issue.

Second, even if you find the name of the .dsc file you need to look
in every one to find the names of the source files. This isn't a big
problem when creating the Packages pages as the archive is on the
same machine (although it is rather inefficient), but is a real problem
if apt wants to add the ability to fetch source.

If it is too difficult to make changes to the archive to avoid these
problems, then I propose we add a new file, at the same level as the
Contents files, called Source, which is a bit like a super-dsc file.
It's format would be something like:

Source: ld.so
Version: 1.9.9-5
Distrib: main
Section: base
Binary: ldso, libdl1-altdev                        (this line is optional)
Maintainer: David Engel <david@debian.org>         (this line is optional)
Architecture: any                                  (this line is optional)
Files:
 fca767c11c36553f281be5851010a6f3 115523 ld.so_1.9.9-5.tar.gz

If there are plans to allow multiple source versions into the archive
simultaneously then this will need to be rethought.

Jay Treacy