Re: Bock is ready for alpha testing

Hamish Moffatt writes:
>I don't know what bock is, but it sounds like it's a Java compiler.

Yes.

>Does that mean we can dump guavac at some stage?

No.  Bock compiles to C, not JVM .class files.  On the other hand, bock
is only intended to be a prototype, and its successor (if I ever get
the opportunity to write it) should be able to compile to JVM bytecodes.

>My complaints with guavac are:
[...]
>(c) I've never heard anything from the upstream authors with forwarded
>    reports and I think the last email even bounced (the web site has
>    disappeared)

This page appears to exist (although it's not very extensive):

http://http.cs.berkeley.edu/~engberg/guavac/

Or was there a 'real' site there previously?

Also, this excerpt might be of interest: