Re: problem finding source to package when source is in a different distrib

On Sat, Sep 26, 1998 at 10:44:11AM -0700, Ben Gertzfield wrote:

>     Hamish> On Thu, Sep 24, 1998 at 03:52:13PM -0400, James A. Treacy
>     Hamish> wrote:
>
>     James> Couldn't find www-sql_0.5.5-1.dsc in
>     James> dists/unstable/contrib/source in archive found in
>     James> dists/unstable/main/source/web/www-sql_0.5.5-1.dsc
>
>     Hamish> That's because www-mysql is in contrib/web and www-pgsql
>     Hamish> is in main/web (and so is the source), ie it is an example
>     Hamish> of what you were saying.  In this case, www-mysql can be
>     Hamish> in main too now though.
>
> Really? Isn't mysql (the server) still not free? I guess you could use
> mysql-freebits to connect to a mysql server running remotely, but
> that's kind of stretching the meaning of main..

Personally, I agree that a free mysql client library is mostly useless
without a free mysql server for it to connect to...

On the other hand, should a package that would otherwise be free be
relegated to contrib simply because it has hooks to mysql? The www-mysql
package is one example; another is an exim module that can store
alias/domain information in a mysql database. If that module were to be
included in the exim package, would that then make it ineligible for main?
Should it?

That's why I went to the bother to separate out the mysql-freebits source
for main.

Scott
(who forgets if his signature is defined on this machine...
shanson@debian.org)