Proposal - Sample Resolution Process

It has been suggest by a few people and some notible people that a "test" or
"sample" vote would be a good idea to get the idea across of how the voting
process would work so... first someone makes a proposal:

I propose that Debian declare Steak to be a Good Thing(tm).

In this sample, we'll assume that there are 64 developers so Q=4 (sqroot of 64
is 8 divided by 2 is 4) and since 4 is less than 5, K=4 .. we'd need 4
seconds...

Let's assume Jon, Jim, Bill and Bob second the proposal... so now we start a
discussion period that will last atleast two weeks unless the Project Leader
and the original proposer (me) decide to call the vote early.  They can call
the vote upto 7 days early....

During the discussion, Chuck wants to amend the proposal to read "...that
Debian state it's opinion, as a collective group, that Steak is a Good
Thing(tm)".  Since Jon, Jim, Bill, Bob and I all like this wording better and
agree to it... the text of the proposal is officially changed.

Frank wants the text changed to "...that Steak is only good with A1 steak
sause".  Since I don't like A1, I object.  Now Frank has to get 4 seconds,
(which he does) and it needs to be voted on.

Sue wants the text to changed to "...that Steak is only good with Heinz 57
steak sause".  Since I like 57, I agree but Bob objects.. same situation... Sue
get's her 4 seconds (I'm one of them) and it's going to be voted on.

Ian wants the text to be changed to " ... that Steak is only good when it's
burned to a crisp".  Since I like mine Med-Well, I object and he has to get his
seconds.  Since he couldn't find 4 other people to agree with him (and second
the vote)  It won't be voted on.

Finially, two weeks is up but the Project Leader decides, since this is a hotly
debated issue, that we need to discuss this for three more days.  Besides, this
is a three day holiday that the vote would fall on.  After the three days, I
don't log on so the vote can't be called.. finially, after the 4th day, I can
log on and I call the vote... the ballot is issued..... (after lunch so give me
an hour :)
* http://benham.net/index.html                                          *