Re: Renaming 'math' section 'science'

On Thu, 24 Sep 1998, Hamish Moffatt wrote:

hamish>To complicate things further, octave is certainly useful in
hamish>electronic engineering work (eg signal processing). latex useful
hamish>in computer science, etc.

	How about:  Put packages into some hierarchy (maybe even just
flat). Have a keyword-like list of sections, and utilities to list all
packages that satisfy a certain keyword.  So gnuplot is perhaps in math,
graphics , and science .  And perhaps also in math/plotting .  This could
make it easier.  Isn't this what RH does ? I think they have a flat
archive and keywords. We really need this .  What are my choices for
plotting programs, for web browsers ?    Who knows at this point ?
	I guess the way to implements it is is to keep the current
hierarchy, but add a keyword to the control file, and gradually change
tools to use these logical sections , rather than physical sections.  A
wholesale migration to a new system would be a mess.

	John

John Lapeyre <lapeyre@physics.arizona.edu>