From: Avery Pennarun [mailto:apenwarr@worldvisions.ca]
Sent: Wednesday, September 23, 1998 10:51 AM
To: Bill Moshier; 'debian-devel@lists.debian.org'
Subject: Re: UDI

On Wed, Sep 23, 1998 at 10:28:07AM -0700, Bill Moshier wrote:

> Is there development work going on regarding UDI (Uniform Driver
Interface)
> as Intel and others are hot on this?

It sounded pretty lame to me.  I remember the days when Linux had the fewest
drivers, and we cried and suffered because no one would release programming
specs to us.

Now Linux has more (and better, faster, more stable) drivers than any OS
except perhaps Windows, and the commercial Unix people are getting nervous.

UDI would have been great a few years ago.  Now we don't need it.  Let them
support the "LDI" (Linux Driver Interface) if they need to use Linux
drivers!

Have fun,

Avery