Re: dinstall: Expert Mode for mount

On Mon, 21 Sep 1998, Avery Pennarun wrote:

> On Mon, Sep 21, 1998 at 08:31:28PM -0400, Dirk Eddelbuettel wrote:
>
> > That would be superb for the type of machine that are common where I work:
> > new shiny PIIs with huge disks, lots of RAM and NT4.0 only.
> >
> > A 'non-destructive' install into a 'looproot' file would be extremely cool.
>
> And slow.  Like umsdos and "live" CD-ROM filesystems, it would be useful
> more for demonstration purposes than anything else.  Of course, if your work
> only lets you use NT 4.0, maybe they're in need of such a demonstration :)

It is not at all slow. I have been providing just such a system for
several years now called "Drop in Debian". The principle use of the early
DiD system was to compile custom installation kernels in a "pure" DOS
environment. Compiling a new kernel is about the same whether the machine
is running DiD, or a "real" installation.

I use such a system for installation testing because of the backup
capability. Copy one file from the backup and you are back to a "clean"
system to upgrade test again.

There are lots of uses for such systems.

Dwarf