Re: Bug#26449 acknowledged by developer (libgtk1 should be compiled with -DX_LOCALE.)
- To: Changwoo Ryu <email@example.com>
- Cc: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Subject: Re: Bug#26449 acknowledged by developer (libgtk1 should be compiled with -DX_LOCALE.)
- From: Ben Gertzfield <email@example.com>
- Date: 17 Sep 1998 12:44:49 -0700
- Message-id: <firstname.lastname@example.org>
- In-reply-to: Changwoo Ryu's message of "18 Sep 1998 04:28:56 +0900"
- References: <email@example.com> <firstname.lastname@example.org> <handler.26449.D26449.email@example.com> <firstname.lastname@example.org>
>>>>> "Changwoo" == Changwoo Ryu <email@example.com> writes:
Changwoo> firstname.lastname@example.org (Debian Bug Tracking System)
>> The X packages have taken out the -DX_LOCALE define, so GTK+
>> should not be recompiled with it.
Changwoo> You are wrong !! Do you know what the -DX_LOCALE does ?
Changwoo> When Xlib is compiled with -DX_LOCALE, X programs that
Changwoo> use locale should call _Xsetlocale(), instead of POSIX
Changwoo> setlocale(). So, GTK+'s gtk_set_locale() should call
Changwoo> With this GTK+ package without -DX_LOCALE, I can never
Changwoo> see any Korean characters. I can send an example to
Changwoo> you, if you want.
But Xlib is no longer compiled with -DX_LOCALE as of the latest Debian
release. So GTK+ should not call _Xsetlocale(), but instead use GNU
libc 2's locale support, as it does currently.
Yes, right now you cannot see Korean characters with GTK+, because GNU
libc 2's handling of multibyte characters is poor. But when we move to
GNU libc 2.2, which will support multibyte character sets properly,
nothing will need to be recompiled to support the multibyte character
This is the correct method, as the Debian developers have decided.
For now, if you are desperately in need of multibyte support, I would
suggest taking a look at the Debian-JP project (yes, I know Japanese
isn't nearly the same as Korean!) -- they have special X servers and
all their packages are compiled to support multibyte characters,
including Korean. The URL for the Debian-JP project is:
I hope this can help you solve your problems.
Brought to you by the letters T and S and the number 14.
"Bill Gates is a talented evil man." -- Chip Salzenberg
Debian GNU/Linux -- where do you want to go tomorrow? http://www.debian.org/
I'm on FurryMUCK as Che, and EFNet and YiffNet IRC as Che_Fox.