Re: /tmp permissions

On Sun, Sep 13, 1998 at 02:26:20PM +0100, Nuno Carvalho wrote:
> Hi,
>  I'de some questions about /tmp directory:
>  My /tmp directory permissions are:
>      rwxrwxrwt   2 root     root         1024 Sep 13 14:17 tmp
>  ... meanwhile chmod manual says that "t" permission is to: save program
> text on swap device !
>   What this means !? /tmp directory isn't on any swap device !

My understand is that t means that a user can't delete the file of another user
even if they have write permissions to do it.

>  It's a "good policy" for /tmp directory to have 777 permissions !?
>  With such permissions any user could write on that directory until even
> there's no more space on device, rigth !?

That's what /tmp directories are for.

Dehydration - 34%, Recollection of previous evening - 2%, embarrassment
factor - 91%.  Advise repair schedule:- off line for 36 hours, re-boot
startup disk, and replace head - wow, what a night!
                -- Kryten in Red Dwarf `The Last Day'

Andrew Howell
Perth, Western Australia			       andrew@it.net.au