Re: software licensing

Jules Bean <jmlb2@hermes.cam.ac.uk> writes:
> > There are two contracts being offered by the employer: the employment
> > contract, which says "don't distribute the software", and the GPL (in
> > force because the employees have been given the code) which says "do
> > distribute the software".  They cannot be satisfied simultaneously, so
> > one of them must effectively lose a term in order to satisfy the
> > other.
>
> That's not quite true.

Perhaps I should have said "if both are to be satisfied" instead of
"in order to satisfy the other".  It is, of course, impossible for
these two contracts to be satisfied simultaneously without one of them
being altered first... and the employer has no power to alter the GPL.

--Rob

--
Rob Tillotson  N9MTB  <robt@debian.org>