Re: About the GPL

On Mon, Aug 31, 1998 at 01:08:04PM -0700, David Welton wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 31, 1998 at 09:55:33PM +0200, David Frey wrote:
> > On Mon, 31 Aug 1998 15:34:30 +0200 fog@irfmn.mnegri.it wrote:
> > >     It is aceptable to sell a CD with the binary part of a linux
> > > distribution and simply point the users to the ftp site for the
> > > sources? I think not, because the point 3b in the license says
> > > you have to give the sources for a small fee and that's not the
> > > case here in europe where the telephone calls cost a lot.
> > > Also the user can have a CD but no a modem, and not distributing
> > > the sources on the CD you simply deny her her right to access
> > > the sources.
> > >
> > >     Or I am wrong and it is perfectly acceptable?
>
> > I'd say you're right; it isn't acceptable.
>
> Then, the Cheapbytes CD's are not acceptable either.  It's not as if
> people in Europe cannot buy them.

Cheapbytes doesn't sell a source cd? ack! That's terrible.
WRONG!!!!  I bought the cheapbytes cd's.  YES they have a source cd!!
It is sold separately  with two other cd's containing contrib and
non-free.  You can get all four cd's in a package for $6.95 US.
That's what I did.  The only thing they did wrong was to change to
directory structure so the supplied cd_autoup.sh won't work.