software licensing

I'm the author of xpdf.  Xpdf has been distributed as a Debian package
for a while now, and I've received several requests to change the
license to meet the Debian Free Software Guidelines.  (The current
license is more restrictive -- not so much because I want it that way as
because I've been too lazy to change it.)

I've looked at the GPL, Artistic, and BSD licenses, and none of them
really fit my needs.  I've put together my own license, and I'd like to
get some feedback before I start using it.

First, my comments on the other licenses.  I don't want to start a flame
war -- but I do want to explain why I feel I can't use one of the other
licenses.  I want a license that (1) clearly meets the DFSG, (2) gives
me the exclusive right to do commercial licensing, and (3) is clear,
concise, and unambiguous.  I think the GPL is pretty close to what I
want (on #1 and #2), but it's simply way too confusing and ambiguous.  I
see the same questions over and over on the Linux newsgroups (the gnu
newsgroups are even worse).  The GPL was presumably written by/for
lawyers; I'd rather make my license clear to hackers and users.  The
Artistic License is better, but it also has some confusing spots.  The
BSD license doesn't do what I want (require source code for patches to
be made publicly available).

Ok, so here it is.  I'm interested in any comments, large or small...

*****

The Reasonable Software License (RSL)
-------------------------------------

This document states the conditions under which the Xpdf package may
be copied.  Xpdf is copyright 1996-1998 Derek B. Noonburg.

Anyone may create and distribute "reasonable patches" to the package.
Reasonable patches are any patches which:
1. clearly mark all changes; and
2. are released under the RSL; and
3. are made publicly available.

You may distribute copies of the package under the following
conditions:

1. The copies must include all associated documentation:
   a. the README file; and
   b. the man page(s) and/or help file(s) for all program(s) included
      in the distribution; and
   c. this license.

2. The copies may include source code AND/OR binaries.  The source
   code may be modified with reasonable patches, and the binaries may
   be compiled from source code modified with reasonable patches, as
   long as any such patches are clearly identified.

3. The copies must retain all of the original copyright notices.

The following items do not fall under the copyright of the package:
1. PostScript output from xpdf or pdftops;
2. text output from pdftotext.

THIS PACKAGE IS PROVIDED ``AS IS'' AND WITHOUT ANY EXPRESS OR IMPLIED
WARRANTIES, INCLUDING, WITHOUT LIMITATION, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF
MERCHANTIBILITY AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE.

*****

- Derek