Problems trying to build 2.88 meg image.

I have been trying to build a 2.88 meg floppy image, using the loop device
to mount the requisite file. The problem is that when I try to format the
device mkdosfs tells me it can't because it is "unable to get drive
geometry for '/dev/loop1'".

Looking at mtools wasn't much more help. mformat references xdfcopy as the
"low level format tool" but basicly all of these tools want to see a
"real" floppy device.

I don't have a real 2.88 floppy device, so I can't seem to get there.

Is there any way to create an MSDOS file system on a loop device mounted
file image?

Second failed solution: use an ext2 file system and LILO. Reading the man
page seems to suggest that I can do this, but I still need the "disk
geometry".

It looks like, in either case, I need the disk geometry for a 2.88 meg
floppy disk drive. Does anyone have this information?

Thanks,

Dwarf