Re: Request for feature: adduser --alias

Guy Maor <maor@debian.org> wrote:
> If the shared libraries are damaged, then how are init, getty, and
> login running, in order for sashroot to be invoked? The only thing a
> special UID is going to help with is if the root shell is messed up.

Typically, when shared libraries are damaged already running programs
continue to run for some time. However, it's true that once in this
state the machine won't come up normally.

However, you're also right that login wouldn't be able to run..  So, ok,
I'll drop this as a bad idea.  [Though I want to think about a minimal
set of utilities sufficient to allow repairing such a machine without
having to go through reboot -- once a machine's been damaged in this
fashion you can't do a proper shutdown, and of course, you can't repair
it remotely if  you have to futz around at reboot time.]

> A better use of sashroot is booting the machine `init=/bin/sashroot'.
> Nothing is gained by having a special uid 0 account with sashroot as
> its shell.

That would be init=/bin/sash

sashroot would be the name for that uid 0 account I was considering.

--
Raul