Re: [RFC] Exim as standard Debian MTA?

Steve Lamb <morpheus@calweb.com> wrote:

>    Take a look at Sendmail configuration some time.  Early in its
>development they made concessions in the configuration format that made it
>convenient for the program to parse it, not the human.  To this day they
have
>not shrugged off that legacy.  It is so bad that to effectively and
>efficiently configure sendmail you have to use a seperate macro language
and
>then compile it into the configuration file!

I don't agree. I've written numerous sendmail.cf's from scratch since the
days of SunOS 3.2. Once you understand that a sendmail configuration file
actually isn't so much a *configuration* file as it is a *program file* that
contains a few main functions (or rulesets in sendmail lingo) that can call
other functions, and the way in which sendmail executes the instructions,
sendmail is quite straightforward. It's still not easy though.

>    Exim is quite straight forward for anyone who takes the time to sit
down
>and read the docs and try to understand it.

Couldn't agree more.

/Robert