Re: Linux distribution HOWTO

There are currently about 400 Debian developers.

I'd also replace "non-commercial" with "100% free"

My suggestions:

s,non-commercial,100% free,
s,unlikeprevious,unlike previous,
s,Debian Linux,Debian GNU/Linux,g
s,More than 100,About 400,
s,500 packages,more than 1500 free packages,

I'm not sure if the other ports like arm, ultralinux and hurd should
be mentioned.

Due to the fact that we currently don't make snapshot releases I'd
skip that paragraph.

Javier Fdz-Sanguino Pen~a wrote:
> 	The Linux Distribution HOWTO (latest version in
> http://sunsite.unc.edu/mdw/HOWTO/ ) states some facts about Debian, it is quite uptodate (last
> updated August the 13th) but it is mistaken in the number of packages of Debian, as well as
> current maintainers.
>
> 	I have not e-mailed the author Eric S. Raymond <esr@thyrsus.com>, myself since I felt
> more "official" members of Debian should do this.
>
> 	The exact words are (almost accurate):
>
> "   Provider's Description:
>           Debian Linux is the result of a volunteer effort to create a high-quality
>           non-commercial Linux distribution. Debian Linux 2.0 is a complete and
>           fully-functional Unix-compatible operating system for the personal computer. The
>           system uses ELF executables and libc6 (unlikeprevious Debian versions, which used
>           libc5). At present, Debian Linux is available for the IBM PC architecture
>           (386/486/Pentium) with versions for Sparc, m68k and Alpha architectures well under
>           way.
>
>           Debian Linux is an easy-to-upgrade distribution that mostly consists of freely
>           redistributable software from a number of different sources and systems. Support
>           for shadow passwords is available, although it should be considered experimental in
>           the 1.1 release. Non-free packages may also obtained, making Debian a well-rounded
>           system.
>
>           The benefits of Debian Linux are its upgradability, well-defined dependencies
>           between packages, and its open development. It is the only distribution of Linux
>           that is being developed co-operatively by many individuals through the Internet, in
>           the same spirit as Linux and other open-source operating systems. More than 100
>           package maintainers are working on about 500 packages and improving Debian Linux. A
>           sophisticated bug tracking system allows users to easily report bugs and security
>
>         Debian Linux is a very dynamic distribution.  Snap-shot releases
>         are made about every three months, the ftp archives are updated
>         daily.
>
>         For more information about Debian Linux, please refer to the
>         files at  <ftp://ftp.debian.org/debian/doc/> or visit our World
>         Wide Web page at  <http://www.debian.org/>.
>
>         If you're interested in joining this project you are invited to
>         subscribe to either debian-user@lists.debian.org or debian-
>         devel@lists.debian.org by sending a mail to debian-user-
>         request@lists.debian.org (or debian-devel-request respectively)
>         with the word "help" in the subject line.
> "

Regards,

	Joey

--
A mathematician is a machine for converting coffee into theorems.