Re: What is public domain? Was: Re: wdm on debian??

> I'm not aware of any country whose laws would let the U.S. Government sue
> for copyring something which is freely copyable...

Why do you call it freely copyable just because the copyright owner has
chosen not to enforce the copyright in the US?

> Anyways, I don't think we have to toss "expect" out of main.

Why would we need to do that?  From the expect README:

	"I hereby place this software in the public domain."

I think we can safely treat the US Government stuff that carries no
copyright as if it was free.  While it is possible that Congress might
repeal the relevant bit of law, I doubt they would do so retroactively, and
I doubt they will try to enforce the copyrights outside the US, even though
they might theoretically have a right to do so.
--
John Hasler
john@dhh.gt.org (John Hasler)