Re: Copyright from the lcs-projekt!? [dwarf@polaris.net: Re: First cut at testing and validation]

On Thu, 13 Aug 1998, Michael Bramer wrote:

> On Thu, Aug 13, 1998 at 11:57:26AM -0400, Dale Scheetz wrote:

> > > not in all points :-(
> > >
> > > Debian don't change LCS programs in a way, that the program say: 'conform'
> > > but the System is not conform.
> > >
> > I have no idea what idea you are trying to express here. If Debian does
> > not change in any way, and the program says it is conformant, why would
> > the system not comform? The program reports "This system is conformant"
> > when all the libs and programs are in the "correct" place. When Debian
> > conforms, the program will say so.
>
> What I say:
> Debian make no changes on the LCS-Program on the way, that the
> program say 'This system is LCS conform' although the system is not
> LCS conform.
> Debian don't lie the users of the system!

If the script says you conform, then you do. If the script has been
modified to say that you do when you don't, then the copyright holder may
sue.

This sounds like you don't trust the committee to vet this softare so that
it is guaranteed to validate a system. I have no reply for that, as it
doesn't make the least bit of sense. Why would the standards committee do
something that would screw up the standard?

> > > But Debian may change 'Pathnames', 'Language' and so.
> > Not with this copyright, and that is just as it should be.
>
> unfortunately
>
> > > And with this Copyright, Debian can't do this. Debian can not support it!
> > Do you mean that Debian can not support the standard? Bull.
>
> No. A standard is a good thing.
> But Debian can't support the foreign user, can't change pathnames, ...
> This is not a good thing!
>
> Debian have no problems with standards!

Then it should have no problems with a program that validates the
standard.

> > POSIX and ANSI are both very proprietary documents. Debian has no problems
> > conforming to them. Why should this standard be any less supportable.
> >
> > If you mean the program can not be "supported" by Debian, then that is
> > exactly what the copyright intends. For Debian, support means package and
> > change, neither of which are desired by this program.
>
> No change of the standard. But changes of the code without lie the user.

As Debian is not the controler of the standard, neither should they be
able to modify it at will.

> > BTW, I seem to have been unsubscribed from all debian list server mailing
> > lists, so I'm not recieving any of the list traffic on this. Probably a
> > blessing in disguise.
>
> Debian has a dns-problem. But a see this message :
> Date: Thu, 13 Aug 1998 11:57:26 -0400 (EDT)
> From: Dale Scheetz <dwarf@polaris.net>
> on the debian-devel list! I hope the problem are away.

Yes, Joey explained it. It looks like the lists will get started up again
rsn.

Luck,

Dwarf