Re: Status of KDE/Qt - interim decision

> > > Interesting. I thougth libraries did not ever work "stand-alone" :-)
> >
> > It does exactly what it was intended to do.  I allows others to write
> > software using it.  I'd classify that as "working".
>
> Yes, but since Debian is dedicated to free software, it would be much
> better to remove Qt, not KDE.

Debian also encourage the correct licencing of software, which KDE does
not do.

Without Qt, KDE doesn't work.  KDE is not free software because it uses
Qt.  Contrib is not a supported part of Debian.  For both ideals and
usability reasons, having KDE and not Qt just doesn't make sense.

> After all, nothing prevents KDE to use another dfsg-compliant compatible
> library instead of Qt, except that such library does not exist yet.

And if one did exist, then there would be no need to remove one of them and
we wouldn't be having this discussion in the first place.

                                          Brian
                                 ( bcwhite@verisim.com )