[Fwd: Java standards for Debian]

I posted this to debian-java; doesn't look like anyone is lurking there.
Could we move this discussion there?

--

Paul Reavis                                      preavis@partnersoft.com
Design Lead

A first cut at proposed standards and needed tools for java under
Debian:

1) The classfiles and class resources for each installed library or
application should be aggregated into a jarfile.

2) These jarfiles are placed
in standard directories on the system like shareable libraries
(Q - what should these be? I use /usr/local/lib/java/*.jar myself, but
I'm no expert on the filesystem hierarchy).

3) [debateable] classes in installed libraries should follow Java
packagename standards and not be e.g. dumped into the top-level package
(com.company... or org.organization... package convention greatly
preferred, but there are lots of violations of that). This could be
fixed by the debian maintainer for open-source products, but not
for precompiled apps.

4) A tool to include all installed jars on the system in the classpath
before running Java would be useful; I have such a thing built from
`find` and duct tape.

5) A tool to build a classpath that includes only the desired jars
before running Java would also be useful

6) some sort of mechanism for handling incompatible releases of a class
library would be nice (but hard)

7) Each installed application should include a wrapper shell script, in
standard form (possibly generated by a utility), that sets up the VM
invocation and passes arguments through; this makes the javaness of the
app transparent to users.

8) Separate locations for the jarfiles for servlets, applets, etc. might
be appropriate (they won't be called from the command line, typically).

8) Class libraries should include (possibly optional) documentation in
JavaDoc or similar format. This can be automated with the build; perhaps
a binary .deb, source .deb, and doc .deb would result from any
open-source java product.

Whaddayathink? I'll be glad to build some of these utilities, including
a standard build process.