Re: Several reason a minimal POSIX /bin/bash is a bad idea

On Fri, 31 Jul 1998, Clint Adams wrote:

> > Bash already runs a restricted mode when called as sh, and since it is
> > already in use on a Debian system, why add more load to memory by adding
> > another, more restrictive sh just for shell scripts?
>
> Already in use?  There are presently no instances of bash running on my
> system, and the only script I can find which uses bash is /etc/init.d/rc.

It is delivered in the base system. While you are free to do anything you
wish with your system, I expect to be running bash when I log into my
system, and I think most folks do as well.

I don't think that anyone has advocated that you should be forced to use
bash. What I am advocating is that you not restrict me from using it.

Luck,

Dwarf