Re: Intent to move mysql-base and mysql-dev to main

On Fri, 31 Jul 1998, Hamish Moffatt wrote:

> On Fri, Jul 31, 1998 at 08:43:36AM -0400, Dale Scheetz wrote:
> > Hamish wrote:
> > > I don't see why the non-free parts of the source have to be removed
> > > from the .orig.tar.gz -- just don't build them.
> >
> > Because the source must be distributable as well as the binary.
>
> Hmmm... it is, we are distributing it for non-free.

The binary is only free if the source is free. If each
component in an upstream tarball has different license, some free and some
not, it is valuable to everyone to split the source into its free and
non-free components, putting them in separate tarballs for proper
archival.

The free source and its binaries go into main, while the non-free
components stay in non-free. This is a much clearer situation than lumping
it all into non-free in such a confusing fashion. (It becomes difficult to
tell if the package is distributable when it is a pile of different
licenses)

This is, of course, up to the maintainer, as he is the one who will have
to do the work.

Together in one package, the whole is non-free. Split into
two packages, some functionality is freely available while another isn't,
and it is clear which is which.

Personally I think this is a good thing, but I leave it up to the
maintainer to impliment.

Luck,

Dwarf