No viewer for type...

What is adding lines like the following to my /etc/mailcap?

image/gif; echo "No viewer for type 'image/gif'"; ; description=GIF Image; nametemplate=%s.gif

There are entries like this for jpeg, midi, and others.  These lines
break things like lynx and metamail because, even though there are
other valid entries for image/gif, lynx and metemail choose this one.
I keep removing these lines and something keeps putting them back.  I
haven't been able to track this down.

Whay are these lines needed anyway?  lynx and metamail at least are
smart enough to figure out what to do when there is no entry in
mailcap for a mime type.  These entries cause harm without providing
any obvious gain?

I'm running an up-to-date slink.

Erv

--
Graduate Student                                edwalter@iname.com
Department of Chemistry                       walter@chem.wisc.edu

"Very funny, Scotty. Now beam down my clothes."
 -- tagline 1.00 by xopy