Re: Several reasons why debian should not use bash for /bin/sh

On Wed, Jul 29, 1998 at 03:24:54PM -0700, Chris Ulrich wrote:
> Safety: Bash, at least in the debian distribution I've installed, is linked
>        against 5 libraries (readline, curses, dl, c and ld-linux).  If
>        any one of these libraries gets hosed, /bin/sh stops working and
>        this effectively kills the system.  A smaller, simpler shell would
>        be less vulnerable to library problems.

I don't buy this argument, sorry. A problem with readline, ncurses or dl
does not kill the system. Granted the shell scripts stop working, but major
parts of the system will still work. And a problem withe the c library resp.
the dynamic linker kills ash as well.

Or were you talking about /bin/sh used as a login shell? Then you're right.
But there is no need to use /bin/sh as a login shell for every user. We
should recommend sash being used for that anyway.

Michael
--
Dr. Michael Meskes		meskes@online-club.de, meskes@debian.org
Go SF49ers! Go Rhein Fire!	Use Debian GNU/Linux!