Re: Several reasons why debian should not use bash for /bin/sh

Manoj Srivastava <srivasta@datasync.com> writes:

>  Rob> Can't we just use "ash -n script" to catch most of the syntax
>  Rob> problems?  Let ash's parser handle the problem.
>
> 	All that would catch are non-ashisms. Having /bin/sh emulate
>  ash is not exactly a goal. Havin a POSIX/UNIX98 compliant system is.

Well, that's true, but I supposed that ash and bash might be different
enough that their intersection (especially since we're mostly trying
to get rid of bashisms) would be much closer to POSIX.  It seemed like
a quick way to get substantial amounts of the work done, and certainly
faster than re-writing a shell parser, which is what I thought he was
talking about.