Re: SUMMARY: pentium optimized debian discussion

-> Does code compiled with pentium optimization run on all Intel
-> processors?  If so, why do we need a separate architecture?

Maybe to be faster. Some code can run 50% faster (was on this list) and
maybe with MMX support it would be much more faster.

I'd say - pentium or pentium MMX optimized packages could be distriuted as
additional to i386 distribution...and users could decide if they want or
don't want them. Maybe only 1% of pkgs would be really good to optimize for
this processor but some ppl would invite such thing. so - go on if you want.
But i really don't think there's need for distributing all on new arch (i586)

--
 Matus "fantomas" Uhlar, sysadmin at NETLAB+ Kosice, Slovakia
 BIC coord for *.sk; admin of netlab.irc.sk; co-admin of irc.felk.cvut.cz