Re: SUMMARY: pentium optimized debian discussion

On Wed, Jul 29, 1998 at 09:49:06AM -0700, Stephen Zander wrote:
>     Marcus> Ha! What makes you think that BogoMIPS tell you anything
>     Marcus> about your processor? From the BogoMIPS mini-HOWTO:
>
> I didn't expect it meant anything useful. I was more interested in the
> difference between that & my previous laptop, an IBM 760CD (Pentium
> 90) which did ~40.  There's no way clock spped alone accounts for an
> order of magnitude increase.

The relationship is in no way linear. For example:

       System                 BogoMips                          Comparison
       Intel Pentium          clock * (0.40  plusminus 0.035)    2.2
       Intel 486/AMD 5x86     clock * (0.50  plusminus 0.01)     2.8

       Pentium MMX            clock * (2.00)                    11.1

So, only for a single processor type the clock rate has a fixed relation to
the BogoMIPS. Switch the processor, and you can't compare anymore.

Marcus
  8.  Why to pay attention to BogoMips
[...]
  2. To see whether your system is faster than mine. Of course this is
     completely wrong, unreliable, ill-founded, and utterly useless, but
     all benchmarks suffer from this same problem. So why not use it?
     This inherent stupidity has never before stopped people from using
     benchmarks, has it? :-)