Re: Another possible slink goal (multipackages users profile)

Jules Bean wrote:
>Actually, I agree with this point.  Environment variables are evil.  Like
>'http_proxy' (Jason ;-).

So do I...  However, there is an argument to be made for adding -actions-
to be executed at login time (as opposed to setting up variables).

The only real example I can think of is quota: "quota -q" ought to
be run at every login if quota is installed.  The sysnews package's
"news" command is another possibility (but not a particularly compelling
argument).  (Oh, and someone else suggested check-sendfile).  However,
if these are the only cases, we could just add to the various shells'
standard profiles something like (this is for bash):

  if command -v quota >/dev/null 2>&1; then command quota -q; fi
  if command -v news >/dev/null 2>&1; then command news -s; fi

--
Charles Briscoe-Smith
White pages entry, with PGP key: <URL:http://alethea.ukc.ac.uk/wp?95cpb4>