Suggested virtual package: python-dbapi

Greetings fellow developers...

I've been packaging a few Python things lately, and I believe that a
new virtual package would be in order.  As required, I am soliciting
comments before requesting that this virtual package name be added to
the official list.

Proposed name: python-dbapi

  Anything that provides a Python module compatible with the standard
  Python database API.

Rationale:

  The DB-SIG of the Python Software Activity has defined a standard
  API to be used by SQL database interfaces, similar in concept to the
  Perl DBI system.  The API specification may be found at:

    http://www.python.org/sigs/DatabaseAPI.html

  Most of the Python<->database interfaces conform to this API, even
  if they also have their own API to support unique features of a
  particular database.

  The purpose of the DB-API is to allow programs to use different
  databases interchangably.  As a result, any package using the DB-API
  should be able to use any compliant database interface.  There are
  already two DB-API compilant packages[1] in Debian, and there are
  four or five more out there which have not been packaged yet.

  You may notice that the Perl DBI stuff doesn't have a virtual
  package.  However, the Perl DBI drivers all depend on a common
  package; the Python DB-API is only a specification, and there is no
  central library which all the drivers depend on.

  I personally have a couple of programs in development which can use
  any DB-API compatible database; it would be nice if when I package
  them for Debian they can specify an appropriate dependency.

[1] python-mysql (in contrib) and python-kwparsing (to be uploaded to
main shortly); the latter includes Gadfly, an in-memory SQL system
written entirely in Python.

Thanks for your time,
--Rob

--