Re: SUMMARY: pentium optimized debian discussion

On Jul 28, Joey Hess wrote:
> - This change will likely help other ports as well, though I haven't heard
>   from them.

It might help somewhat with people who don't have FPUs (fairly common on
m68k and perhaps other architectures... 386/SX and others?), when the kernel
FPU emulator gets straightened out.  A m68k-nofpu subarchitecture (with a
few things like glibc and FPU-intensive apps in it) would probably improve
performance on non-FPU machines dramatically (avoiding the unimplemented FPU
instruction traps into kernel space).

Might also help turn up the gas on 68060s, which have quite a few
unimplemented instructions that require similar FPU traps (though it might
be better to just get gcc to avoid using those instructions by default,
perhaps having it default to -m68020-60 instead of -m68030 [assuming the
former flag exists and works like -m68020-40]).

64-bit PPCs (e.g. 750s) might also benefit from a subarch, though how isn't
quite obvious to me at midnight.

Chris
|        Chris Lawrence        |               My home page:                |
|    <quango@ix.netcom.com>    |     http://www.clark.net/pub/lawrencc/     |
|      Amiga A4000/040 and     |    Join the party that opposed the CDA     |
|     Linux/m68k 2.0.33pl1     |             http://www.lp.org/             |