Re: How a packaging system works

Hi,
>>"David" == David Maslen <david@binary.net.au> writes:

 David> So this in effect means I can, download source from the author, then
 David> easily check for a diff and dsc file, rename the tar file
 David> program.tar.gz.orig and away I go?

	In theory. See, take package foo. It has all the documentation
 in ./docvs, and all sources in ./src, and after building, it puts
 stuff in ./bin. I, as a maintainers, put toget ruls and such that cd
 src, make; and then thatke the binaries from ../bin and put them in
 the debian package.

	You can now take my diffs, and get the authors sources, and
 away ou go.

	Then the author decides that all these dirs are a pain, and
 changes teh sources around to one dir. Ince the program has ot
 changed, this may not warrant a major version change. But, BOOOM. the
 rules and such for creating a binary will fail, since there is not
 more src, doc, or bin subdirectories. A less drastic change may well
 create a more subte error that may go unnoticed -- and remember, the
 pre-compiled binary has been tested, by the maintainer, and then by
 the testing group

 David> That basically means I could store the sum of the debian packaging
 David> info, and all the work you developers have done on a 100meg zip disk
 David> doesn't it?

	At the cost of the testing, and potential (possibly subtle)
 incpmpatibilities between the source the maintainer used and the
 source you download, yes.

 David> So having a precompiled debian file is just a convenience?
 David> Really what Debian has is a beautifully open method of tailoring the
 David> original software authors sourcecode to a standardised, and
 David> interworking system?

	You are missing out on the testing and quality control parts,
 but yes, to an extent. I would personally only guarantee support for
 the version of upstream sources my changes were applied to.

	HTH,

	manoj
--
 "I woudn't recommend sex, drugs, or Unix for everyone, but they work
 for me." Jim Thompson (jthomp@central.sun.com), paraphrasing Hunter