Re: SUMMARY: pentium optimized debian discussion

On Tue, 28 Jul 1998, Joey Hess wrote:

joey>I only did 2 benchmarks myself. I timed multiple runs of gzip -9 and gunzip
joey>on a large apache logfile, using first non-optimized and then the optimized
joey>gzip and took the quickest from each set of runs. I got 10 to 15% speedup
joey>there.

	I'm recompiling a large numerical library (cln) .  It takes an
hour, I'll try his test programs when its done.  The author claims -O
produces better code in this case than -02 (g++) .  Although the config
script identifies the CPU as i586, it apparantly doesn't pass any flags
about this to the compiler I don't know why he does this.  I am using g++
from egcs and passing -mcpu=pentium -march=pentium .

John Lapeyre <lapeyre@physics.arizona.edu>