Re: How a packaging system works

On Tue, 28 Jul 1998, Marcus Brinkmann wrote:

Marcus.Brinkmann>Well, sometimes the tar package does not unpack in a single directory, or
Marcus.Brinkmann>there is no upstream tar ball at all, or you need two tar balls. In this
Marcus.Brinkmann>cases, we repack the tar ball in our way. This is unavoidable.
Marcus.Brinkmann>
Marcus.Brinkmann>However, those exceptions are rare, and mostly we are able to use pristine
Marcus.Brinkmann>sources.

	This happens to me from time to time.  I just put a note in
./debian on how I repacked it.
	But occaisionally, the original package is so well put
together, with a configure script and a man page, etc., that making the
debian package is really easy.
	Apart from failing to compile, my biggest problems are writing a
man page, naming executables and libraries and include files ( how about
libwin.so !) making sure the dist is clean if 'make clean' is
insufficient, and finding the pieces to install.
	Some one, maybe me , should write a tutorial to ease developers
into packaging .  The manuals are good, but a doc that walks through some
packaging would be interesting. Since there are so many ways to build a
package, a few of them  would be ok.

John Lapeyre <lapeyre@physics.arizona.edu>