Re: xephem NOT present in 2.0 !

Emmanuel QUEMENER wrote:
> I was using xephem for my observations in astronomy and I
> discover that this contrib package has disappeared from
> 2.0 distribution. Could-you explain me why you remove it
> from the distribution ? You put IRAF (a very huge package !)
> and not xephem ! Is that because xephem was made with
> using Motif toolkit ?

>From what I can see in [1] it was removed because it was obsolete.
>From [2] I get the impression that it was orphaned and contained
release critical errors.  Since its maintainer is Karl Sacket -
and I believe that he left the project - this looks logical to me.

So, Emmanuel, if you use the package and want to have it back you
should consider maintaining it yourself.  [3] tells you what to
do to become a maintainer.  This has always been the best way to get
something done with packages.

Regards,

	Joey

[1] http://www.debian.org/Lists-Archives/debian-devel-9805/msg00233.html
[2] http://www.debian.org/Lists-Archives/debian-devel-9803/msg01349.html
[3] http://www.debian.org/doc/packaging-manuals/developers-reference/ch1.html

--
VFS: no free i-nodes, contact Linus  -- finlandia, Feb '94