Re: "goals" for slink: FHS

Santiago Vila <sanvila@unex.es> wrote:
> Did we move the copyright files from /usr/doc/copyright/<package>
> to /usr/doc/<package>/copyright? No, we just uploaded new packages having
> the copyright file in its new location.
>
> Why has this to be so different? (and more important: so tricky?)

No programs cared where the copyright files were.

And if we go about it carefully, I think we can move everything safely.

Note that unless we're moving across partitions, or the new directory
already exists, we can do the whole move using one system call, and
create the symlink for backwards compatibility with the other.

If we're moving across partitions we should check that enough space
is available before proceeding.  If the directory already exists
already exists we should ask for manual intervention and refer to some
documentation prepared for this case.

--
Raul