Re: CD README's

On Mon, 27 Jul 1998, Dale Scheetz wrote:

> When I build a CD from a mirror of Debian's archives, I am building the
> official Debian distribution. Our ftp sites are the definitive source for
> Debian. To imply that only CDs constructed from our created images are
> "official" is restrictive with no benefit to the end user.

I think the point (originally) was that certain vendors (;cough Infomagic)
had a tendency to do a crappy job with CD layout and other things ... some
packages were missing,  and (I could imagine) that things like making the
disk bootable might be bunged up.  At any rate,  the end-user-linux-newbie
buys one of these CDs from Infomagic (since,  unlike RedHat,  we don't
produce our own cds and sell them directly),  it doesn't work,  and the
user says "Debian doesn't work" and goes to Redhat or Slackware or ...

So by having an "official" CD image,  and requesting that people who want
to call their CDs "official" use them,  we can enact a sort of quality
assurance.  'Sides which,  selling the masters at $50 a pop isn't a bad
thing for our bank account :)

                     					Will