WARNING: sed 3.01 is no longer POSIX.2 compliant

As people seem to have noticed, the regular expression code in sed 3.01 has
changed a lot since 2.05. I qute from /usr/doc/sed/NEWS:

  Due to excess performance penalties, I have reverted
  (relative to 3.00) to using regex.c instead of the rx package for
  regular expression handling, at the expense of losing true POSIX.2
  BRE compatability.

This means that POSIX.2 character classes such as [[:space:]] are no longer
supported. It looks like there is indeed also a bug in parsing character
classes which contain a `[', but that is not what breaks menu. It does
make the problem visible though (so call it a feature :) ).

Wichert.

E-Mail: wakkerma@wi.LeidenUniv.nl