Re: NFS Diskless Boot

> On Sat, 25 Jul 1998, Raul Miller wrote:
> >Brian May <bam@snoopy.apana.org.au> wrote:
> >> - qmail can't read from its message queue, despite the fact all the
> >> permissions are the same as on a working system. The error is
> >> "access denied". However, qmail will work fine if setup to forward
> >> to another SMTP host.
> >>
> >> I am doing this on a 10Mbps coaxial Ethernet network.
> >>
> >> Any suggestions?
> >
> >Delivering mail onto nfs is very high risk.  One problem is that if
> >remove a file then reuse its name (or its inode) nfs might give you the
> >old file again.
> >
> >The best solution is to just use an mx record to get the mail to go
> >to the machine with a proper mail queue.  And probably use something
> >like ssmtp as the local mail transport agent.
>
>   True.  But Qmail doesn't really do anything overly strange with files AFAIK
> and it should work the same over NFS as over local disks.  I think that the
> issue is that the Qmail problem is a symptom of larger problems with NFS.

Is someone trying to put qmail's message queue on an NFS share ?

This is an absolute no-no, if you are interested in reliable mail delivery
(and if you are not, why use qmail ?)

>From /usr/doc/qmail/THOUGHTS.gz:

   5. Handling queued mail (qmail-send, qmail-clean)

  The queue directory must be local. Mounting it over NFS is extremely
  dangerous---not that this stops people from running sendmail that way!
  Diskless hosts should use mini-qmail instead.

Cheers, Phil.