Re: tech proposal to make manoj somewhat happy.

On Sun, 26 Jul 1998, Raul Miller wrote:

> Jason Gunthorpe <jgg@gpu.srv.ualberta.ca> wrote:
> > The APT http (and ftp) clients are probably ideally suited to this. They
> > are about 30-40k each.
>
> For what it's worth, nc is about 16k, and that little script I included a
> few messages back was less than 512 bytes.  It needs something to parse
> the ip address and port, but the parsing could be handled by /bin/sh
> and sed -- all that's really needed is some way of multiplying by 256
> and adding.

Unfortunately there are some major problems

 1) The RFC explicly forbids pipeling FTP queries
 2) There is no firewall support
 3) If it aborts there is no resume capability (nor any way to even detect
    an abort)

If size is an issue then a single file http query could be coded in about
100-200 lines of C - it should be much smaller and more relable than using
nc.

Jason