dpkg multiple arch support (Re: RFC: pentium optimized debian)

Joey Hess <joey@kitenet.net> wrote:

> Here's a proposal:
>
> Make /etc/dpkg/arch be a conffile for dpkg. If it is not present, dpkg
> behaves exactly as it does now. The contents of the file would look
> something like:
>
> i386: i386 pentium all
> m68k: m68k all
> powerpc: powerpc all
> sparc: sparc all
>
> I think there's a package for the alpha that lets them run i386 linux
> binaries, so some people might even use:
>
> alpha: alpha i386 pentium all
>
> What do you think?

There is the issue of >shudder< shared libraries.  Are we sure that an
i386 binary that depends on libx can use lix for alpha on an alpha?  And
can a pentium binary always use an i386 library?

Cheers,
	Kristoffer

--
Kristoffer Høgsbro Rose, Ph.D., prof.associé  <Kristoffer.Rose@ENS-Lyon.FR>
Laboratoire de l'Informatique du Parallélisme  équipe PLUME, bureau LR5-026