Re: Something I've noticed.

magnwa@lionking.org wrote:
> Evening.. Okay, here's the deal.  I've got
> a game playing addiction, and it is really messing me up now :) You see, I
> like this game called FreeCiv.  It's at version 1.6.3 right now, and the
> Stable of Debian has it at 1.5.x .  Now , I realize it's untested and unsafe
> and oh no, we can't.. and it's in slink, and such..

[please limit yourself to 80 character lines. Thanks.]

> But here's my question.  Games are not mission critical.  They often
> cannot produce bugs so mammoth to reach critical.  What is the harm in
> introducing the CURRENT games/non critical applications into hamm/stable?  I
> know I can go to slink, grab it, and install it.. but I don't like this
> wonderful dselect tool going to waste because nobody feels that packages
> like games should be modernized.  The thing that seperates us from others,
> IMHO, is fluidity.  If this distro stays static, it's only going to become
> outdated, and prompt us not to use binaries.  BTW, if I install it using
> Slink's package, dselect nails it as an obsolete package.

Here are some ways a game can produce a critical bug:

* it's a svglaib game so is suid root, and has a security hole in it.
* the maintainer makes a stupid mistake (rm -f / comes to mind) in the
  postinst script.

I do think it would be nice if a tool like apt could be pointed at just
unstable/games, and stable everything else. But this shouldn't be the default.

--
see shy jo