Re: RFC: pentium optimized debian

On Sat, 25 Jul 1998, Raul Miller wrote:

> I should have listed the problems I think we'd have if we used the
> trademark "pentium" to refer to architecture:
>
> Since we're refering to computer, the trademark law applies, thus:
> it becomes a battle with intel whether the name is generic or not.
> [I don't think we have a really good case for it being generic, and
> I don't think we have the money to spend on legal battles.]  If it's
> not generic, we are not entitled to use it to refer to a competitor's
> product -- this makes using it (documenting it, whatever) with clones
> becomes unpleasant and contentious.

I think that a trade-mark forbids you to *sell* an item which you call
'pentium'. I don't believe that using it in our context would be any
problem. And how do all those companies advertizing with 'Intel Pentium
inside' fit into this?

Maarten

| TU Delft, The Netherlands, Faculty of Information Technology and Systems  |
|                   Department of Electrical Engineering                    |
|           Computer Architecture and Digital Technique section             |
|                          M.Boekhold@et.tudelft.nl                         |