Re: Removal of logfiles?

On Sat, 25 Jul 1998, Martin Schulze wrote:

> paulwade@greenbush.com wrote:
>
> Database, this reminds me.  The *SQL packages ought to ask in their
> postrm script if the database data shall be remove, too.  I'd like
> to see the same (I'd prefer a non-asking mechanism) would happen to
> not maintained (i.e. no rotating script, no package) logfiles.

I prefer not to ask, just generate a message that files are still there. I
have seen too many impatient users that quickly answer 'y' or 'n' before
they finish reading a question. If they really want to remove a database
that took a lot of work to build, they can navigate to the directory and
remove it manually.

Of course there are exceptions to most precautions:

I once had a lawyer customer that decided to learn MS-DOS by going through
the printed manual and trying each command from A-Z. He didn't get past
the format command. Fortunately, it was a new system and there was no user
generated data on the hard drive.

pw