Re: RH and GNOME

Rob Browning <rlb@cs.utexas.edu> wrote:
> All other issues aside, I've said it before, and I'll say it again.  I
> think this is an extremely poor idea.  Who's going to take
> responsiblilty for *big* flame festival as soon as some user tries
>
>   dpkg -i sysvinit*.rpm
>
> because they heard there was a security fix that they needed that was
> already available in the RedHat package?

Yes, this would not be an example of dpkg supporting the rpm format:
we'd need some way of dealing with regular dependencies, file
conflicts, etc.  We might also refuse to install rpms which replace
essential packages (except with --force-essential-rpm).

That said: dpkg is a very significant package, and we'd need some
pretty hot talent to address all the design issues.  Right now,
it's just too hard to understand and is not documented adequately...

--
Raul has failed to understand dpkg internals