Re: problems installing Debian 2.0 "Scientific Workstation"

"James G. MacKinnon" <jgm@qed.econ.queensu.ca> writes:

> 2. I was unable to install emacs, and packages that depend on it,
> successfully. I tried numerous times, removing emacs20 and other things,
> then reinstalling. I always ended up with emacs20 installed but only
> half-configured. Also, auctex would not install because it said it wanted
> emacs19.
>
> There were many messages during the attempts to configure emacs. They
> typically ended with something like
>
> > emacs-install: /usr/lib/emacsen-common/packages/install/tm emacs20
> > xemacs20 failed at /usr/lib/emacsen-common/emacs-install line 26.
> > dpkg: error processing emacs20 (--install):
> >  subprocess post-installation script returned error exit status 29
> > Errors were encountered while processing:
> >  emacs20
> > DPKG ERROR

I think that we need to examine the packages that are listed in the
various "machine types" on the boot-floppies (where can I find that
list?).  These lists need to be carful at the moment about which
emacsen add-on packages they include.

The problem you experienced is most likely a known issue with the way
emacsen-common handles the emacsen add-on packages' install/remove
scripts.  Emacsen-common needs to do dependency ordering, but right
now it doesn't, so installing, for example, cvs-pcl and elib
simultaneously will cause big problems because elib must be completely
installed before cvs-pcl.  Right now, when the emacs20 (or whatever
flavor) install script runs, it runs the add-on package installs in
alphabetical order.  This is bad.

I've nearly finished the fix, though.  I just couldn't get it done and
tested for hamm.