Re: Debian i386 freeze

On Tue, 21 Jul 1998, Jaldhar H. Vyas wrote:

> I am quite content to let Debian be Debian.  It was doing fine before
> I got here and I'm sure it will be fine when I'm gone.
>
> BUT as a person who has an (IMO :-) a good idea for some free software
> and is wondering how to distribute it, I've become convinced that
> the GPL may not be promoting the cause of freedom as I understand
> the word quite as much as I thought.  Happily there are other good
> alternatives.

that depends on how important you consider the freedom for commercial
developers to steal your code and make it proprietary.

if you think that that "freedom" is important or a Good Thing, then
don't use the GPL....use the BSD license or similar instead.

if you think that it is unimportant, or a Bad Thing you specifically
want protection against, then use the GPL.

The GPL promotes the cause of Free Software by ensuring that "once free,
always free". this is one the best features of the GPL, and probably
it's most controversial.

craig

--
craig sanders