Re: A simple mistake (was Re: Should we ship KDE in hamm?)

Oliver Elphick <olly@lfix.co.uk> wrote:
>   >The only mention made of a library in the GPL is to suggest that
>   >you may want to use the LGPL if you're writing a library.  So you're
>   >introducing a bogus distinction here.  If your logic is correct when
>   >applied to libraries it must be equally correct when not applied to
>   >libraries, and vice versa.  So there's nothing new introduced in your
>   >third case.
>
> In the third case, the distinction between dynamic and static linking
> is irrelevant.

It's always irrelevant.  The GPL makes no mention of static vs. dynamic
linking.  Whatever is true for dynamic linking is therefore true for
static linking.

>   >Do you see what it says here?  There's *no* requirement that the work
>   >be a single binary.  There's *no* requirement that the work be shipped
>   >in its entirety.  There's not even an implication that a work would not
>   >encompass multiple files.  What matters is that the work as a whole must
>   >meet the minimum standards set forth in the GPL.
>   >
>   >In the case of KDE, we are talking about works which, when taken as
>   >a whole, are made up of Qt, of GPLed code, and whatever else.
>
> But, as I pointed out, clause 2 only applies to modifications; we do not
> modify KDE in any way.

That's not true, when uncompressed the diffs against kdebase are about
160k.

Also, I believe that under copyright law adding to a copyrighted work is
considered to be a modification of that work. But I am not a lawyer and
it's possible that I'm wrong on this point.

> You have separated the second part of my posting (which refers to the
> general problems of applying the GPL when modifying other people's
> code) and made it apply to KDE, to which I made it clear it does not
> apply.

I think you need to check a few more facts.

--
Raul