Re: RH and GNOME

On Tue, 21 Jul 1998, Joseph Carter wrote:

> I use non-free software.  Some of it is patent restricted (GIF)  Some of it
> is encryption (pgp, ssh) the rest multimedia (amp, mikmod, mpg123, xanim,
> xv--looking at imagemagick, I REALLY dislike the xv license) which I'd
> happily use free alternatives when good ones appear.

To change track completely, I'd just point out...

Encryption, per se, will not make something non-free.  Both pgp and ssh
are non-free simply because their authors are trying to make money out of
them.  Also, use of RSA and IDEA can in some contexts be non-free - I'm
not familiar with the details of the patents concerned.  GPG, however will
be totally free (although non-exportable from the us).

Jules