unstable --> frozen upgrade disaster

Need some hints...
I have been running hamm for many months.  I performed several
upgrades around the time hamm went to frozen.  Some time after
'deep freeze' (around the time of the beta announcement) I did
something really stupid:
I tried a 'general upgrade' using dselect just before leaving
on a business trip.  The system has been un-bootable since.

Following the 'upgrade' any attempt to issue any command in
any shell resulted in a 'segfault' message (bash _and_ the
stand-alone shell -- ash?).
An attempted reboot resulted in a kernel panic (can not mount
root filesystem).  The kernels tried are 2.0.27, .30, .33, & .34.

The rescue floppy also panics and can not mount root.

I installed another copy of the system from the 23 June disks
on another partition.  That system can mount the old root
(on a mount point), fsck the filesystem, copy files, etc.

However, the 'old' system still will not boot and still can
not mount the root filesystem.

I would like some hints as I really do not want to 'blow away'
the old system.  I am completely clueless as to how to proceed
to determine what is wrong.  It seems that it can not be a
problem with the root partition since it checks ok and is
otherwise useable.  Also, I would expect that if it was a
problem with init that the mount would be ok.

It does not seem to be reasonable for it to be a problem with
lilo since booting from a floppy also fails if the old root is
choosen as the root filesystem.

Any suggestions as to how to narrow this problem down?

tnx,
bill

Please __NOTE__ my configuration of smail is probably pretty
messed up right now so if you cc: please use
       bleach@bellsouth.net